Module 10. Informal and Lifelong Learning
This module provides an introduction to lifelong learning and professional learning communities.
This module addresses the following standards:
- The online teacher understands the need for professional activity and collaboration beyond school (e.g. professional learning communities). OTE.9.K.1
Watch the following videos, and consider:
- What is lifelong learning?
- Why is lifelong learning important for your students?
- Why is lifelong learning important for you?
Watch the following video, and consider:
- How might a PLC improve education?
- What does it take to make a PLC work well?
- How does this apply to teaching online?
Read the following web pages, and consider:
- What is a PLC?
- Why are PLCs valuable?
- How do we build PLCs that work?
Learning Point Associates. (2009). Professional learning communities: What is a PLC? The Center for Comprehensive School Reform and Improvement.
Learning Point Associates. (2009). Professional learning communities: Elements that define a PLC? The Center for Comprehensive School Reform and Improvement.
Discussion and Reflection Questions
- How can online educators build PLCs with one another?
- What might these PLCs look like?
- What kinds of data or practices could be shared?
- What step should we take together next, now that this course is ending?